Suppliers and retailers from across Canada gathered on the evening of October 17th to honour the retail home improvement industry’s best hardware and building supply retailers. The occasion was the 31st Annual Outstanding Retailer Awards, presented during a Gala Dinner during the annual Hardlines Conference. The event was held at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort in Whistler, B.C.
Retailers were honoured in eight categories covering the range of retail hardware and home improvement formats. This year’s winners (with award sponsors) were:
- Best Hardware Store – Hydway Hardware, Fort Vermilion, Alta. Ray Toews and Robyn Currie, Owners. (National Hardware Show).
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre under 15,000 square feet – Nova Scotia Building Supplies (Castle), Blockhouse, N.S. Andrew Mills, Owner; Curtis Saulnier, General Manager. (Jeld-Wen).
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre over 15,000 square feet – Centre de rénovation Marieville (Home Hardware), Marieville, Que. Louis Turcotte, Eric Berthiaume, Simon Louvet, and Daniel Gervais, Owners. Eric Berthiaume, Store Manager. (BP).
- Best Contractor Specialist – The Cedar Shop (Sexton Group), Calgary, Alta. Tyler Palko and Brad Palko, Owners; Mitch Wile, President. (Trex).
- Best Large Surface Retailer – RONA+ Whitby, Whitby, Ont. Paul Santos, Store Manager. (JRTech Solutions).
- Retail Spirit Award – Hodgins Building Centre (Castle), Wingham, Ont. Brock Hodgins and Jordan Hodgins, Owners; Nik Glazounov, Manager. (Johns Manville).
- Best Young Retailer – Barry Eidt, Arthur Ace Hardware, Arthur, Ont. Doug Eidt and Barry Eidt, Owners; Brent Bowen, Store Manager. (Acceo Solutions).
- Marc Robichaud Community Leader – Nowco Home Hardware, Lacombe, Alta. Tyler and Deanna Nowochin, Owners; Tami Schneider, Manager. (BMF).
Launched in 1992, the Outstanding Retailer Awards (ORAs) are Canada’s only national awards program dedicated to celebrating the achievements of hardware, home improvement and building supply dealers and their staff. In its 30-year history, the program has honoured more than 160 retailers. The ORA Gala has become a must-attend for retail leaders from every part of Canada, who come to celebrate the industry’s finest.