Blue Box producers must sign up with a PRO or establish their own collection system before July 1, 2023
In less than four weeks, starting on July 1, 2023, communities in Ontario will start to transition their municipal Blue Box programs to the new producer operated and funded Blue Box system.
The new system will be ready to start operating on July 1:
- producer responsibility organizations (PROs) are establishing a common collection system that will provide curbside and depot Blue Box service to every household in participating communities in Ontario
- almost all the communities transitioning on July 1 have contracts in place to be serviced under the common collection system
- companies that pick up, sort, and recycle Blue Box materials are signing the contracts to keep the plastic, glass, metal, and paper collected from households out of landfills
However, the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) has communicated that many Blue Box producers who are required to have a common collection system in place on July 1, 2023, have not yet signed up with a PRO to participate in the common collection system.
By July 1, 2023, producers must:
- Join the common collection system being set up by the PROs by either signing up directly with a PRO and report the PRO selection through a RPRA registry account, or become a member of the System Access Agreement that has been established between the PROs.OR
- Create an independent system for the collection of Blue Box materials across Ontario prior to July 1, 2023. Producers choosing this option must notify RPRA at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately and explain how their system will service over 5 million private households in Ontario starting July 1, 2023.
If a producer fails to comply with the regulatory requirements outlined above by July 1, 2023, they may face enforcement action which can include:
- Compliance orders
- Financial penalties
- The maximum base penalty amount for each producer that fails to satisfy the collection system requirements set out in the Blue Box Regulation as of July 1, 2023 is $200,000 plus economic benefit, which is the value of the benefit gained from breaking the law.
- The maximum base penalty amount for each producer that fails to implement promotion and education program requirements as of July 1, 2023 is $75,000 plus economic benefit.
All compliance orders, financial penalties or prosecutions will be publicly disclosed including the name of the noncompliant producer.
Producers are advised to take immediate action to avoid enforcement action.
Any questions related to requirements under the Blue Box Regulation or this statement should be directed to RPRA’s Compliance Team at email@example.com or 833-600-0530.
Sign up to attend RPRA’s Annual Public Meeting and Learning Series Event
Meanwhile, on June 21, 2023, RPRA is hosting its Annual Public Meeting and Learning Series Event on Understanding Ontario’s Producer Responsibility Regulatory Framework at St. James Cathedral in Toronto.
Register for the Annual Public Meeting
In-person seats have sold out, however, stakeholders can join virtually by signing up here.
Register for the Learning Series Event
A limited number of in-person seats are still available and are on a first come first served basis.