On October 19th, suppliers and retailers from across Canada gathered to honour the retail home improvement industry’s best hardware and building supply retailers. The occasion was the 30th Annual Outstanding Retailer Awards (ORAs), presented during a Gala Dinner during the annual Hardlines Conference. The event was held at the Queen’s Landing Hotel in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
Retailers were honoured in eight categories covering the range of hardware and home improvement retailing formats. This year’s winners were:
- Best Hardware Store – Quincaillerie Jean Denis (Home Hardware), St-Raymond, Que. Sophie Denis and Philippe Moisan, Owners. Award sponsored by JRTech Solutions.
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre under 15,000 square feet – Grunthal Lumber (Castle), Grunthal, Man. Mel Funk and Murray Rempel, Owners; Mike Bourgeois, Manager. Award sponsored by Johns Manville Canada.
- Best Building Supply or Home Centre over 15,000 square feet – Grande Prairie Home Hardware Building Centre, Grande Prairie, Alta. Kevin Gillman, Manager. Award sponsored by Trex.
- Best Contractor Specialist – Pierre Naud Inc. (BMR), Trois Rivières, Que. Marc-André Lebel and Philippe Lebel, Owners; Jessica Bastarache, Manager. Award sponsored by the North American Hardware and Paint Association (NHPA).
- Best Large Surface Retailer – Lowe’s Pickering, Pickering, Ont. Angelo Tzogas, Store Manager. Award sponsored by the National Hardware Show.
- Retail Spirit Award – Gander Bay Building Supplies (Castle), Victoria Cove, Gander Bay, N.L. Deborah and Todd Brinson, Owners. Award sponsored by Kohltech.
- Best Young Retailer – BMR Paulin Moisan Inc., St-Raymond, Que. Marianne Moisan and Mathieu Moisan, Owners. Award sponsored by Acceo.
- Marc Robichaud Community Leader – RONA Fort Erie, Fort Erie, Ont. Dennis Doidge, Owner; Jeff Hill, Manager. Award sponsored by Burlington Merchandising and Fixtures.
The winners were carefully chosen from a field of high-quality nominees submitted from every part of Canada. The winners stood out within this elite group thanks to their ability to exceed in the areas of good business practices, customer relations, innovation, and niche marketing.
“The past two and a half years were marked by a level of disruption not seen in this industry in our lifetime,” said Michael McLarney, President of Hardlines Inc. “In a field of entries where the bar was already raised high by pandemic conditions, this year’s winners shine bright.”
About the Outstanding Retailer Awards
Launched in 1992, the Hardlines Outstanding Retailer Awards are the home improvement industry’s only national awards program dedicated to celebrating the achievements of hardware and building supply dealers across all banners in Canada. In its 30-year history, the program has honoured more than 165 retailers.