The CHPTA is pleased to announce that the Association will be the new Canadian Sponsor of the IHA Global Innovation Awards (gia) program recognizing overall excellence, business innovation and creative merchandising in homegoods retailing.
What is gia?
The IHA’s gia Awards is a national and global awards program whose objective is to honor innovative business practices and excellence in home and housewares retailing and visual merchandising around the globe. Established in 2000, the global program is sponsored by the International Housewares Association (IHA) and The Inspired Home Show. Leading housewares associations and publications from around the world are national gia awards co-sponsors.
Eligible retailers and gia awards categories
Different types of retailers selling home and housewares may participate in the IHA’s gia Awards competition:
• Independent Specialty Homegoods Retailers
• Department Stores/Specialty Chain Stores/Mass Market Stores
• Internet/Online Retailers (without a physical storefront; a prior authorization by IHA required)
There are no separate categories for different types of retailers, but all participating companies compete for the same gia Global Honoree awards.
In addition to the general gia awards, the national gia winners have a chance to compete for the Martin M. Pegler Award for Excellence in Visual Merchandising and for the gia Digital Commerce Award for Excellence in Online Retailing.
The CHPTA will select a high-quality retailer to represent Canada at the gia Awards who, along with over 30 winners from countries on six continents, will be invited to attend The Inspired Home Show in Chicago, March 4 – 7, 2023. During the Show, the winners will be celebrated at a festive awards dinner where up to five retailers will be further distinguished as gia Global Honourees.
Base Criteria – gia Awards
- Overall mission statement, vision and strategy
- Store design and layout
- Visual merchandising, displays and window displays
- Marketing, advertising and promotions
- Customer service and staff training
National Winner Benefits
- Recognition as a retail leader among peers in home country
- High visibility at The Inspired Home Show (Chicago)
- A special gia winners’ display in the main Show area
- Large gia winner banners in the walkway between the Lakeside Center and Grand Concourse of McCormick Place
- A presentation at the gia dinner
- Store introduction on IHA’s website
- In gia printed materials, such as gia fliers, magazine sponsor gia ads, etc.
- Access gia expert jurors’ know-how (Chicago)
- Networking with other gia winners – chance to find new business partners, get new ideas, benchmark performance, etc.
- Extensive publicity in home country – depending on winners’ pro-active promotions
- Opportunity to conduct customer/press events
- Boost employee morale and productivity
- Enlarged customer base (depending on winners’ promotions) and potential sales increases
- Right to use the gia logo, photos and information in marketing and in-store promotions, etc.
- Access to other gia-related materials (design for poster, banner, etc.) that can be used for promotional purposes
- Leverage reputation with banks and other institutions
If you would like to recommend a store for the 2022-2023 gia (Canada) or have any questions regarding the program, please contact:
Marketing & Communications Manager
Canadian Home Products Trade Association
Tel: 416-282-0022 ext.134
Information is also available at the following link: